Me, my dad, and 3 of my four brothers

Me, my dad, and 3 of my four brothers

Photo's of Anderson Family

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A girls best friend

Since my dad had just spent twenty years serving in the Navy, he was left with quite a load to carry after my mothers passing.  Two teenage boys, two preteen boys, and a toddler girl is more than even my mind can manage to comprehend to care for as a single dad.  In my opinion, my dad failed miserably but not without grace as I reflect on his care for me personally.

So, I spent most of my days playing with my best friend Tipsey.  Tipsey was a mommy who tucked me in at night, the one who greeted me when I came home from school and she was the one I could tell all my secrets to. Tipsey had medium blonde hair, and such a soft way about her.  She never demanded anything from me and always let me play whatever I wanted to play whether with my barbie dolls or paper dolls.  She always snuggled with me when I would sit in front of the tv to pass time or she would be my student when I played school.  When she left, she promised to always come back and our bond was strong.  I've never minimized her role in my life as a child.  It's as if she knew how much I needed a mommy, and she filled the void as best she could and for years I would turn to her for all my comfort.  There is no denying in my mind, she was an angel sent by God to be my comforter, and on that spring day just as I was about to turn 12, Tipsey went to heaven too.
I know she loved me and she didn't want to leave me, but she had this impulse to chase cars as they drove by.  Sort of a way of shooing people away from me, or a way for her to exert her energy, but on this sad day Tipsey slid into the tire of a very large diesel pickup truck.  I was there, I saw it all happen....my best friend had been hit by a car and I watched her die on that pavement that very sad sad day.

Although this brings back such sorrowful emotions as I type it all out, my heart is overcome with joy as well.  This is the first time I have reflected so intimately my truth of her memory.  My love for dogs is so great and now I remember why.  Thank you Tipsey for taking such great care of me.

1 comment: