My baby girl will graduate high school in just seventeen days. While I couldn't be more proud of her and her two older sisters, the reality surrounding this next celebration is bitter sweet and sobering to say the least.
If you would have asked me what I wanted to be when I was little, my answer would not have been a fashion designer, a teacher, or even a nurse. My answer would simply have been "a mommy". Living out my one and only childhood dream, has been my greatest accomplishment. For twenty three years, I have served this career with all my heart and soul just as my dad served 20 years as Chief gunners mate in the United States Navy. While I recognize the label "mother" will never be taken from me, this long and hard working path will reshape itself regardless if I'm ready.
Sure I'm tired, as the work a mother faces is more than cleaning a house (which I've never mastered anyway), or making a meal. A mothers work starts when you answer their cry for feeding or a diaper change. When you bath and clothe them. Say prayers of thanksgiving each night for the priceless gift you've been blessed to receive. Sleepless nights in the emergency room when your toddlers fever reaches 104, and camping out in a hospital for three weeks when your baby weighs a mere 3lbs is just the beginning. You hold them through out the night when chicken pox boils coat their bodies and you cry when they cry in agony. When they grow out of the early childhood illness', you're promoted to the defender of their innocence, the provider of proper fitted clothes, the shopper for school supplies, the chauffeur to school and church events. The host of fabulous birthday parties, the elf to Santa Clause and other holidays celebrated. You become the hairdresser for school photo's, the photographer to host the memories, and the craftsman creating the books in which the reflection of memories are saved. You are their lifeguard in the pool, and their dietitian for their health. You are the blockbuster that holds the Disney movies they grow up to love, and the storage for their favorite toys to cherish for generations to come. Then, you're promoted to the ear in which they lean when your precious child has been bullied in school. The defender of their safety, the encourager of their beauty, their secure confidant when troubles ail them. You're the message therapist when their legs ache with growing pains, the doctor who over sees a cough, a fever, a sniffly nose, and any other medical concerns.
Promotion to the teen years is a more strenuous challenge as you're now a policeman who sets the boundaries for the safety of your teenager and other teenagers. You're a judge who decides the good from the bad influences. You're the beauty consultant for hair, makeup, and clothes. A fashion expert for formal dance wear, the color specialist for hair, a taxi cab driver for all their activities. A guidance counselor for their high school trials and tribulations. You become a kleenex when they face their first heart break, you're the ice cream truck for those needed ice cream runs that calm ones every nerve. You become the target for all their emotional darts they throw, the ironing board who irons out the wrinkles, or the board for them to blow their steam. You become a party planner to host safe teenage parties all while continuing on with previous duties. You're their biggest cheerleader, and their greatest fan.
You're a foundation for their dreams, their beliefs, their convictions. These listings are mild in comparison to the reality in which they've unfolded through out the years.
I couldn't have had a greater and more fulfilling career than motherhood. In honor of this upcoming and new chapter of my life, I'd like to thank my mother, you unknowingly gave me a dream. One which has been far greater than the one I imagined as a child.
For my husband, you made these dreams possible by your hard work and support. Both of our roles were necessary for this untold dream to come true.
To God, I thank you for your trust in me with these three beautiful girls and the blessings you've poured over our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh yes, Mommy pay day indeed! You've raised a beautiful family!
ReplyDelete