Thursday, January 19, 2012
Volunteering is the greatest job on earth
Less than two months ago I stopped procrastinating the creation of a resume' I had never done in all 42 years of my life. Heck, I've been a hairdresser since I was 25 years old and how do you document that on paper? This wasn't a resume' for hair or that would be easy to make up a portfolio of my work. And while I have loved my career and all the blessings that come along with it when you have three daughter's, I honestly felt I had very little skills other than successfully raising three daughter's. Heck, I knew parenting alone was the most difficult job on the face of this earth,(I was still feeling the exhaustion of this truth)but surely wasn't going to document all of those trials and tribulations.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful client (Larry Stone) who has been getting his hair done by me for the past twelve years. He knows the director of House of Hope and had put in a good word for me prior to my resume' as well as gave me pointers on what to document on paper such as all the bible studies I have been a part of, and any Christian video conferences I have taken. This alone began a history of courses that I have sincerely given my heart to. Personally, I would never have considered these classes/ conferences resume' worthy until he put that 'bug' in my ear.
After spending a good solid day typing and retyping all that I could remember participating in, I felt good about what I would submit to House of Hope (a non denominational Christian home for troubled teenage girls).
Now that I have been working with the staff and the girls in this home for nearly two months, I have found a fresh breath of air to breath in as a Volunteer worker. Oh my goodness what a blessing it is to be needed, to be wanted by all involved in this foundation. Volunteering is the best job around. There is not a demand of hours set in front of me, and there is a huge amount of respect for the fact I have a husband, I have a family and yet I am willing to give of my time and work with this home as a whole. Heck, it makes it so easy to give of myself with the home being just a mile down the road from my home.
Oh, there have been a couple days I felt frustrated with the girls as if they were my own teenage daughter's. All I needed was a bit of one on one time with Jesus in prayer and the Holy Spirit spoke volumes to me when I grumbled about the ungrateful girls. The whisper I heard from above was "I too volunteered my life, and sacrificed my life for all." Wow, thank you Lord for those most inspiring words upon my heart. I love volunteering, and love my family for sacrificing their mom/wife by allowing me to give their time to the House of Hope as well.
May my heart remain humbled as I rejoice in this wonderful position I have been called to serve in. Without God, I am nothing and I sure wouldn't have the heart to do what I am doing. This really is the greatest job on earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment